Ideally located near Aviemore and the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail, this magnificent
Country House was once the home of the Lipton Tea family. Built in 1902, this elegant
mansion is set in its own fabulous grounds in the heart of the Cairngorm National
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel (Gaelic for house on the wing/edge pronounced
tie na skeea) was originally built in 1902 for the Mackenzie family, founders of
the MacKinnon MacKenzie shipping line. The house was later sold to the Lipton Tea
and grocery family and then to Major Scott and Lady Scott Hartley, famous for their
jam making and grocery business.
In succession, the families used the house as their country retreat here in the heart
of the Cairngorm National Park, taking advantage of the exceptional shooting and
fishing in the surrounding area.
The hotel is now owned and personally run by Iain and Elaine MacDonald-Coulter, who
after many years in the hotel business on the West Coast of Scotland, have made Tigh
na Sgiath House their home.
The hotel will be closed for annual refurbishment from 9th November 2014 until 12th
February 2015 (including Christmas and New Year).All enquiries and reservations
will be taken as normal throughout this period. Please telephone 01479 851 345 or
contact us here.